If you're a foodie at heart like I am; you love trying new recipes. I love trying all types of food, but Mexican is my preferred! Tacos have always been my favorite and I got inspiration from my best friend to try Mexican lasagna. So if you like tacos, lasagna, or trying new food... keep reading!
"Inside the Pan"
Mexican lasagna is a dish that has become a staple in my dinner rotation. If it wasn't for my best friend keeping her recipe a secret, I would've never experimented and found something that I and my entire family loves. I make a vegetarian version; even though I'm not vegetarian, I like to cut out as much meat as possible. But you're welcome to add or substitute anything you'd like. Let's get cooking, shall we?
What's cooking, good looking?
Mushrooms (I used 3 Portobello mushroom caps)
1/2 tsp of butter
3 tsp of Taco Seasoning
1-1/4 cup of Vegetarian Refried Beans
1-1/4 cup of Enchilada Sauce
2 cups of Chunky Salsa
Shredded Cheese (I used 1 cup of the taco blend shredded cheese & about 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese)
1. Start by preheating your oven to 400°F
2. Dice your mushrooms into 1/2 inch squares. I got babe to cut them so I could take pictures :)
3. Sauté your mushrooms with butter for about 2-3 minutes
4. After mushrooms are browned, add taco seasoning (chili powder, paprika, oregano, onion powder, salt, and garlic salt)
IMPORTANT: This is where the "lasagna" part comes in... layer your ingredients as you would regular lasagna!
5. Line your oven-safe pan with your tortillas TIP: I cut mine in half to save tortillas and cover more of the pan
6. Add your mushrooms in an even layer
7. Layer refried beans, extra tortilla (if desired... helps soak up extra juice) enchilada sauce, chunky salsa, and cheese
8. Place your beautifully crafted lasagna in the oven for 30-ish minutes or until it's golden brown on top!
...AND VOILA! You made Mexican Lasagna! Now, you know what's even better? You get to eat it!
Bone Apple Teeth! (Bon Appétit)